Sunday, April 26, 2015

Wide World of Comics

For this weeks assignments I first took a look at Guy Delisle's Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea. I havent seen any of his works but I was interested to see a western persons perspective on North Korean life. He went there to help with animation which I found interesting as I did not know they did animation in North Korea. But the comic chronicled him working in the office building and the very few times he was allowed to venture out. I saw how he thought the North Koreans acted, which to my surpise was fairly normal with a bit of paranoia to be honest. But he showed what it was like for a foreigner to be in a almost completely sealed off country. The other comic I read was Blacksad. At first when I saw it I thought 'oh no a furry comic' but I couldnt have been more wrong. It was a very very well drawn detective story with lots of crime noir influence. The different races are represented by different animals which I thought was pretty clever and the setting seems to be sometime in the 1950s/60s. It takes place in America with the protagonist Blacksad helping out his clients as best he can. I really recommend this it was a great read.  

No comments:

Post a Comment