Sunday, April 26, 2015

Stereotyping In Comics

As a black individual I'm no stranger to stereotyping. I see it in literally every piece of media out there; film, music, video games, TV and comics. And Im very much against the use of these to try and characterize someone or something. It cheapens the character and leaves no room for growth or interest. Games always have a character that is just black man. He is loud, joval talks in slang and has dreads or has some kind of jewelry, these attributes are the whole of the character he is one dimensional and never becomes more then a sidekick or comic relief. I dont feel that stereotyping is necessary to portray people of color or women or someone that is non white. There might be some things that you could take from culturally but not to the degree to make that character an obvious stereotype. And as a black guy in America I have been affected by the ways people stereotype blacks, people have seen me come into a room and change the way they talk and even put on hip hop cause they thought I would like it.        

No comments:

Post a Comment